Douglas Teiger, AIA
“Architecture should raise your soul to a higher spiritual level.”
Douglas has always believed that architecture should raise your soul to a higher spiritual level. He believes in creating spaces that are sculpted by light to make people feel good and at home. Douglas began his career in New York City with the Swanke Hayden Connel firm, where he worked on the Statue of Liberty Renovation. Moving to Los Angeles in 1984, he became a Project Designer with Arthur Erickson Architects where he was instrumental in designing the San Diego Convention Center, Brentwood Library, and the renovation of San Francisco’s historic Stockon Street Hotel. After becoming Project Architect at Waldo’s Design and later, Project Manager at Munselle Brown Partnership, he opened his own practice in 1990. In 2000, he merged firms with Trevor Abramson, beginning the era of Abramson Teiger Architects. As managing partner, Douglas’ ability to effectively streamline the operations allows for more time to be spent on design and project research – a major factor in the consistent high level of design associated with ATA.
- B.A. in Architecture Cornell University (graduated with honors)
- M.A. in Spiritual Psychology University of Santa Monica
- Registered Architect in the states of California, Wyoming, Georgia, District of Columbia, and New York
- Past Executive Committee member of the United Jewish Federation Real Estate and Construction Cabinet
- Served on the Santa Monica College Architectural CAD Technology Advisory Board
- Lecture Chair for AIA Young Architects Forum
- Past Chair AIA Awards Committee
- Vice President, AIA Los Angeles, 2016
- President, AIA Los Angeles, 2017
Douglas’s spiritual journey has led him to travel around the world; spending time at monasteries, churches and temples in Nepal, India, Europe and the United States. Douglas is a husband and father to three amazing boys and uses his free time to race motorcycles, heli-ski, play ice hockey and paint. He believes he will live to be 150 years old, healthy, creative, happy, spreading joy to the world and still constantly striving for a design that is large enough for silence to echo, yet small enough for intimacy to remain.
310.838.8998 ext 202